Packed with sweet fruit in a flaky and light pastry.
Makes 10 Eccles cakes.
- 375g puff pastry
- 4 cooking apples
- 100g sour cherries
- 100g sugar
- Fennel tops (optional)
- 1 beaten egg for egg wash
- Pre-heat oven to 180°C.
- Peel and core the apples and cut into chunks.
- Pre-heat a non-stick frying pan on a medium heat then add the apples and sugar.
- Let the apples caramelise in the sugar until soft and golden brown.
- Place the apples in a bowl and allow to cool.
- Once the apples are almost cool stir in the sour cherries.
- On a floured surface roll out the pastry to 3-5mm thick and cut out 10 x 15cm circles.
- Take 1 tablespoon of the apple and sour cherry filling and place in the centre of each pastry circle.
- Brush around the edge of the pastry circle with the beaten egg and pinch the sides together to create a parcel for the filling.
- Place the Eccles cakes on a non-stick baking tray.
- Brush the cakes with beaten egg wash and sprinkle the sugar over the top. Cut 3 small clits in the top of each.
- Place in the oven for 20-25 minutes until golden brown and the pastry is crisp.