Makes 12 / prep 20 mins / bake 15-20 minutes
This is a darker and more indulgent variation of my favourite basic muffin recipe. It’s perfect for special occasions and particularly good at Christmas.
- 200g unsalted butter, softened
- 150g caster sugar
- 4 medium eggs
- 200g strong white bread flour
- 1½ tsp baking powder
- Pinch of salt
- Splash of milk
- 150g good-quality dark chocolate, chopped
- 470g jar pitted morello cherries, drained
- Heat your oven to 200°C. Put 12 paper cases in a muffin tray or line the muffin moulds with scrunched squares of baking parchment.
- Cream the butter and sugar together in a large bowl until light and fluffy. Beat in the eggs, one at a time. Sift the flour, baking powder and salt together over the mixture and fold in lightly, with the milk, until only just combined; do not overwork. Add the chocolate and two-thirds of the cherries and fold in, again until just combined.
- Distribute the mixture evenly between the paper cases and press the remaining cherries into the surface. Bake for 15-20 minutes until the muffins are firm and spring back when gently pressed.